The Sumter Police Department’s Victim Assistance Unit strives to provide support and assistance to any person who is a victim (directly or indirectly) of a crime.
The Victim Assistance Unit offers comprehensive services to all victims of crime to include:
- On site crisis intervention and follow-up
- Referrals to crisis counseling
- Information on crime victim’s rights
- Information and referrals to SC Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund
- Case status updates
- Advocacy within the criminal and juvenile justice systems to include court accompaniment and transportation if necessary
- Partnerships with shelters, safe houses, and other community service agencies
VICTIMS/WITNESSES WHO FEEL THEY ARE BEING THREATENED, HARASSED, OR INTIMIDATED SHOULD NOTIFY THE SUMTER POLICE DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY.