Captain Michael P. Evans, an Advanced Force Science Specialist, commands the Special Operations Division, which includes Research and Professional Development, Training, and Fleet and Facility Management.
Research & Professional Development
Analyzes current and future law enforcement trends to develop best-practice modules
Oversees agency response to critical incidents
The Training Unit prepares, instructs, and trains police officers who serve the City of Sumter. The division places a high priority on assessing current trends in law enforcement practices and developing specialized training to address them. The Training Division also:
- Monitors national, state, and local training opportunities
- Coordinates course registration for all officers in the department
- Maintains strict compliance with South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy (SCCJA) requirements
- Coordinates quarterly in-service training and promotional testing for all sworn personnel
- Provides requisite training for the department’s civilian staff
Designed to meet the ever-changing needs of 21st century law enforcement, the department’s training initiatives comply with standards mandated by SCCJA and the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
Fleet & Facility Management
Ensures the safe, efficient operation of all department buildings and vehicles