Support Services, under the command of Captain Michael P. Evans, provides continual support to the agency to ensure that law enforcement services are effective and uninterrupted. It’s broken down into four main areas:
We are always looking to grow our family.
The Training Unit prepares, instructs, and trains police officers who serve the City of Sumter. The division places a high priority on assessing current trends in law enforcement practices and developing specialized training to address them. The Training Division also:
- Monitors national, state, and local training opportunities
- Coordinates course registration for all officers in the department
- Maintains strict compliance with South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy (SCCJA) requirements
- Coordinates quarterly in-service training and promotional testing for all sworn personnel
- Provides requisite training for the department’s civilian staff
Designed to meet the ever-changing needs of 21st century law enforcement, the department’s training initiatives comply with standards mandated by SCCJA and the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
Citizens Assistance Unit
The Citizens Assistance Unit (CAU) is available to citizens so they can:
- Obtain copies of police reports or collision reports
- File a police report
- Get referrals to appropriate resources
Records & Administration
The Records and Administration Office provides support to city and county law enforcement, including:
- Switchboard operation
- Issuing traffic ticket books
- Maintaining all tickets and incident reports
- Maintaining Magistrate and General Sessions Court case files
- Conducting criminal background checks
- Issuing taxi licenses
Procures uniforms and equipment for officers and for community safety.